Three years ago, I started working at a salon that was made for me. The walls were pink and lime green and the place was covered in glitter. I never knew on that first day of work how truly lucky I would be for the next three years.
I will forever be in debt to Sweet and Sassy and grateful for working there for the following reasons (and many more that I am too emotional at this point to list):
1. I met my best friend who has been there for me through the toughest things that a girl goes through between the ages of 21-24. She is the strongest person I know and gives the best advice. She is also extremely talented at anything and everything she sets her mind too. Inspiration doesn't even begin to cover it.
2. A little girl asked me what my name was one time. When I replied Bailey, she said, "My momma drinks juice called Bailey's. B-a-i-l-e-y, right?" Maybe the time that my two year old client dropped the f-bomb can top that. Well, whatever the case may be, I can say that I have better stories than any hairstylist out there. Just ask and I can have you grasping your chest for air because you will be laughing so hard.
3. I grew up with three older brothers. Yeah I know, how did I grow up so girly, right? Over the past three years, I have not only developed close friendships with my coworkers, but I have gained respect for many women that I would gladly call my sisters any day.
4. I had a boss that I hated on some days and loved on others. For the more recent of the three years that I have worked where I do, she has jedi-mind tricked me and helped me develop my potential as a manager.
5. When I wanted to, I could wear yoga pants and nike's to work. I didn't always wear makeup to work and sometimes I stuffed "night before hair" under a particular black slouchy beanie and was satisfied with my 16 hour wear lipstick that was still on my lips from the previous night of debauchery. I have no idea what the job market holds for my future and my work wardrobe, but I admit, I am terrified.
Motion City Soundtrack said it best in the lyric "the future freaks me out."
For now, I will listen to sappy pick me up music and take solace in the verse Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans I have for you, " declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
Cheers (with a large cup of chamomile tea),
Bailey
You're so cute.
ReplyDeleteJobs come and go but blogs last forever.
ReplyDelete